Wednesday 26 March 2008

Sketches out of my head





When I doodle, my tendency is to draw the male nude form. I call them my male floozies because they usually don't have a stitch on. I'm fascinated by drapery and admire people who render it well (even have a go myself sometimes), but when I don't want to tear my remaining hair out, I resort to what is for me the more easily achievable challenge of rendering anatomy well. Partly because I have some source material nearby; partly because I was raised on superhero comics; partly because when my co-workers spot my doodles, it's slightly less creepy than if I were drawing nekkid ladies - less threat of some kind of indirect harrassment charge! These were exercises in anatomy, lighting and foreshortening; the seated male tries to capture from memory the lighting of a photograph I saw. Varying degrees of success...

2 comments:

Mike Manley said...

drawing out of your head is always a good way to see where you are too as far as knowledge goes. These are not bad, I like the feel of the first one the best, nice sense of gesture and mass.

Alan said...

Thanks for dropping in, Mike. A comment from someone with your versatility is very welcome.